- Meat and poultry
- Beef mince
I discovered chilli con carne on a trip to Chicago where there is a large Hispanic community. I bought the small red beans in an organic market and I found the chilli powder online.
4 people made this
- 250g small dried red beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper
- 750g lean minced beef
- 750g fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr10min ›Extra time:1hr soaking › Ready in:2hr25min
- Bring a large saucepan with 2L salted water to the boil. Pour in the dried beans and boil for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover and soak the beans for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole over low heat and cook and stir the onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the red pepper, and cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the chilli powder, paprika, cumin and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the minced beef, and cook and stir until the beef is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the beans and stir the beans into the beef mixture. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 1 hour.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley just before serving.