- Dish type
- Classic cakes
- Ginger cake
This is a delicious two-layer ginger cake that some Polish families have as Christmas cake. It's perfectly spiced and studded with soft apples. The cream cheese icing and extra apples are of course optional, but definitely turn this cake into something extraordinary!
5 people made this
- 50g butter
- 3 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 175g butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 100g caster sugar
- 110g dark brown soft sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120ml milk
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon dark brown soft sugar
- 110g butter, softened
- 120g icing sugar
- 225g cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe preserved apples
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr10min
- Melt 50g of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the apples; cook and stir until tender. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour two 23cm round cake tins.
- In a large bowl, mix 175g of butter, honey, dark brown soft sugar and caster sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing each one until blended. Combine the flour, bicarb, cinnamon, mixed spice, cloves, ginger and salt; stir into the batter, alternating with the milk. Stir in the walnuts and cooked apples just until evenly distributed. Divide evenly between the prepared tins and spread evenly.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool the cakes on a wire rack. Keep the oven on for the walnuts.
- To make the candied walnuts for the top of the cake, whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until foamy. Stir in the dark brown soft sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Spread the nuts out on a baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven until toasted and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Cool completely before using.
- To make the icing, mix together the butter, icing sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Place one layer of cake on a serving plate and spread with a thin layer of the cream cheese icing. Top with most of the preserved apples and spread evenly. Place the other layer of cake on top with the bottom facing up. Spread remaining cream cheese icing over the top and sides. Decorate the top with remaining preserved apples and sprinkle with candied walnuts.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (5)
This is super good! I didn't add the candied walnuts to the top because of allergies and I also just made one layer instead of 2. But the taste is phenominal, thanks for a great recipe!-25 Jan 2010
a delicately flavoured, moist cake. Good without the walnuts. I do suggest you make your own pie filling rather than using canned.-04 Apr 2012
Good and lasts a while in the refrigerator. My candied walnuts didn't turn out that great--not sure if it was me or the recipe (which I followed). Next time I will not use canned apples...I'll saute fresh ones with a little sugar and cinnamon. A nice fall cake.-27 Nov 2010